Whether you’re getting onto the property ladder or making your way up it, the home buying and selling journey can be stressful.
Breaking down the steps can help you navigate the purchase process to make it a little easier.
Our practical Home buying Journey guide sets out what you need to know before you sign the purchase agreement to once the offer is accepted - including the milestones before settlement, the day of settlement, and the day after.
Remember to do your homework. A property purchase is usually your largest investment, so it’s worthwhile taking the time to carry out thorough due diligence. Our Due Diligence Checklist will help pave the way.
Some of the key things to consider:
- Who is buying the property? Are you putting it in a trust or purchasing with another party?
- If purchasing with another party, are you each contributing equally?
- If you are purchasing with another party but not contributing equally, talk to your lawyer about a property sharing agreement. If you’re a couple, you should also consider a Contracting Out Agreement.
- How are you funding the purchase?
- Are you intending to use KiwiSaver? If so, you will need a solicitor to withdraw the funds for you.
- What conditions has your bank put on the lending?
- What special features does the property have?
- What conditions do you need in your sale and purchase agreement?
- What is your timeline?
It may all feel a bit overwhelming to begin with, but we can help you from the get-go. Happy house hunting!